Yes, make up does expire and although it may not give you an upset stomach and make you sick like spoiled food would, it can and will give you rashes and various irritations. Here are some interesting facts.
I have a bad habit of keeping absolutely everything. Blame it on OCD, part of it it’s hoarding and yes I hoard beauty products , shoes and clothes. However, I have learnt to toss certain things out in the recent years.
Here is how long you should keep beauty products for and how to know if they have spoiled.
1. MASCARA – 3- 4 months
– You should change your mascara every 3 to 4 months
– Or if it has gone clumpy or starts to smell funky, it’s gone bad
– Another important thing, when it comes to mascara, do not share it with anyone, it spreads germs like wildfire. No pink eye over here, no thanks!
2. LIQUID FOUNDATIONS – 6 – 12 months
– or if it has separate into layers or the colour has lightened, it has gone bad, toss it out
– keep foundation out of sunlight because UV rays destroy preservatives and spoil it faster
3. LIPSTICK/LIPGLOSS – 2 years / 1 year
– You should toss lipsticks out after about 2 years and lipgloss after about 1 or
– If the lipstick has become extremely dry and lipgloss extra gunky and sticky, it’s spoiled
4. NAILPOLISH – 2 years
– If it won’t blend or has become chunky, it’s bad
5. EYESHADOW – 2 years
– This is the one I tend to hold onto the most, I just can’t ever seem to use up the entire eyeshadow!
– if it has become dry and flaky, it’s bad, and you should not put it close to your eyes
6. FRAGRANCES – 8 to 10 years
– I am pretty sure you would use up a perfume in this time but who knows… so if you see it going lighter or smelling different, it’s gone bad
– Perfumes should be stored in cool and dark places as bright lights make perfumes oxidize
7. LOTIONS – 2 years
– Or if you notice a change in smell or colour, it’s gone bad
– Also try to get lotions with a pump rather than a jar, as it’s less prone to bacteria
We should really be mindful of what products we put on our face. I know myself, if I see something and it’s a nice colour and smells great, I am all over it but we have no idea what kind of chemicals are put into our favourite products and afterall it does go onto our skin and it seeps in and we should take a moment to find out. Also, these things may not come with an expiry date clearly printed on the packaging, but just like with everything else, all things have an expiration date.